Thursday, June 16, 2011

Pain

Pain is a feeling triggered in the nervous system. Pain may be sharp or dull. It may come and go, or it may be constant. Constant. CONSTANT. 


Constant pain can lead to Xrays, CT scans, MRIs, steroid shots, surgery, more shots,and a trial spinal cord stimulator. 


If you have the flu or a virus, people can relate to that and empathize. It is hard for people to understand or empathize with pain caused by something that can't be seen. It's not like I have a broken bone with a cast or a cut or even a bruise. "Everyone has pain, it is part of growing older."  "You just need to deal with the fact that you may hurt some for the rest of your life." 


NO!  This isn't that kind of pain. Yes, I have the getting older aches and pains when I stay in bed too long or spend a day walking in bad shoes. But this pain is not the kind of pain you just deal with. How do you explain that when there is nothing visible? It is very frustrating and depressing.


I thank God for my wonderful pain management doctor. I am thankful for all the tests that shows them what is going on in my body.I am thankful for the people that invented the spinal cord stimulator. I am hopeful that I can have it permanently because, in my case, it works! I am looking forward to a life with less pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment