Monday, February 6, 2012

Jump In and SERVE


My Pastor and friend posted this challenge in his blog today:
You can acknowledge the fact that your church IS NOT perfect, but be glad God has given you a church family.  And you can jump in and LEAD … jump in and SERVE … be a part of the SOLUTION, not a perpetuator of the PROBLEM.  There are problems in every church.  The Lord KNOWS Ebenezer has it’s share of problems!  Why are there problems in every church?  Because NO CHURCH IS PERFECT.  Every church is made up of imperfect people.  So, you can ask God “Where can I make a difference?” and when He shows you, jump in and MAKE A DIFFERENCE.  Part of the SOLUTION, not a perpetuation of the PROBLEM.  Which will you be?

I choose SERVE. We can't all make a difference in the same way. What we do is go to the Word and PRAY. God will show us where and how He wants us to serve. I would have never in a million years dreamed of going to Africa to share God's love. South America, sure; NY, New Orleans, California, Florence - bring it on. But God hand picked me to go to AFRICA. Justin can tell you that I often text him with "My heart is not right enough to do this, I think I made a mistake, I don't think I am suppose to go, I can't raise that much money." And 10 out of 10 times I get reminded that I can't do this. But God can. 

Bible study that I signed up for months ago begins, I go by my book and on the About the Study Page I read, "the Book of James and its many themes. Among them is his clear and blunt call to a faith that shows itself through Christians serving the poor, the widowed, and then orphaned." HELLO - coincidence? I think not. At a meeting we were reminded of the verse that Mattaw was founded on, Isiah 61:3b (Message) "Rename them "Oaks of Righteousness" planted by God to display his glory."  The very name Mattaw is the English spelling of the Hebrew name for garden or planting.  The first week of out study we reminded in Luke to grow strong and wise with grace of God, and to grow in wisdom and stature with favor of God. OK, Justin was right and God is getting my heart ready for this experience. OR maybe getting ready will be the experience for me, I know it has been so far. 
So, maybe you aren't called to serve in Africa, Georgia, Honduras, or even Florence. But you can pray for your church family members. You don't have to go out of your way to support them, but don't go out of your way to be negative about what God is calling them to do in their life either. Don't understand why anyone would want to do this, why we are going so far away....I don't understand why people like beets. Evidently that is not for me to understand, but I'm glad Mimi likes them and enjoys them. Thank God we are all different and all called to do different things to the Glory of God. Just ask Him, He will show you to where you are suppose to be. And you never know, you may end up in a children's village half way around the world one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment