Wednesday, September 28, 2011

All We Need is Love, and the "Drawing Room"

My bible study group agreed to keep each other accountable and encourage them to have quiet time with the Lord every morning. So I get up this morning, let the dog out, feed him, get coffee and sit down. Where do I begin? Do I just flip to a passage in the bible and start? So I sat here, and sat, and saw a book on the bookshelf that may be of some help, First Cup Devotions for Women. The bookmark was halfway in the book, but I decided to start over. Day 1 - It all starts with God. I'm thinking good choice Sharon. God is telling me, you didn't pick this, I did. And so I read. The I realized it really is just that simple. "Our ultimate aim in life is not to be healthy, wealthy, prosperous, or problem free. Our ultimate aim in life is to bring glory to God" Anne Graham Lotz.  How many things throughout my day bring glory to God? How many things make Him cringe?  In the field that I work in it is not easy to show God's love to the person on the other end of the phone screaming at you because they lost 4 months of data, or the software has changed and they don't like it. But I empathize, and try to make the best out of every situation, even as if there is anything else I can assist them with. Then I hang up the call and either mumble to myself or tell my neighbor what a grump they were, or how hateful there words were. Is that showing God's love? NOPE  I should just hang up the phone and say a prayer for that person before I go on to the next caller.

Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is Love   1 John 4:8

Now, I don't have to like what someone has said to me, but I can show them God's love by not arguing back, or in the case of work, not talking about them after the call. I can pray that the person will come to know God and feel His love in them. I truly can't understand why someone would want to walk around with so much anger in them. Why would they not seek the love of God? Why do people want to live in an angry, darkness in their hearts?

This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him there is no darkness at all  1 John 1:5

That love is all we need. And when we have it, and nurture it, it spills out of us and glorifies our Lord. And then we have joy in our lives. I pray that I continue to go to the "Drawing Room" to feed my soul with goodness from His word. That love fills me and my deeds glorify my God. That darkness stays far away from my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment